The first County Home was a farm in Union Township purchased in 1839. Then on July 6, 1867, the site of the present County Home was purchased for $13,600 from John and Mary Moore in Washington Township. An additional tract was purchased making the farm a total of 365 acres. Currently, some of the acreage has been sold and divided as Carroll County Industrial Park; tracts were set aside for a county dog pound, cemetery and garden. The garden was farmed last by County Home residents and personnel in 1967. The Carroll County Hospital (as it was called) was built in 1937 with county funds and opened for use April 1, 1938 under the management of the Carroll County Commissioners. By the early 50’s it was difficult to keep the buildings in decent repair. A bond issue enabled the county to renovate the outmoded facility and add the new building which was completed in 1954. The County Home was named Carroll Golden Age Retreat in 1988. It has been operated continuously by the county as a residential facility and today the Home provides custodial care and assisted living for persons not requiring “skilled” nursing care.
2202 Kensington Road NE
Carrollton, Ohio 44615